
Finance Minister Dr. Cassiel Ato Forson has announced that the government will roll out a two-year initiative, the Ghana Secondary Learning Improvement Programme (GSLIP), to eliminate the double-track system in senior high schools.
Presenting the 2026 Budget to Parliament on Thursday, November 13, Dr. Forson said the programme, running from 2026 to 2027, aims to expand access, improve education quality, and restore full-time schooling for all senior high school students.
The initiative forms part of President John Dramani Mahama’s RESET Agenda to create an equitable, modern, and accessible education system for every child. Dr. Forson noted that while the Free Secondary Education policy increased enrolment, it strained existing infrastructure, leading to overcrowded classrooms and resource constraints. The double-track system, introduced previously, was a temporary solution that has affected academic quality and disrupted the school calendar.
“Education is the ladder by which nations climb to prosperity, and for Ghana, that ladder must be strong, wide, and within the reach of every child,” Dr. Forson said. “Through GSLIP, government will ensure that every Ghanaian student can attend school full-time, in dignity and in safety.”
As part of GSLIP, classroom and dormitory infrastructure will be expanded in selected Category A schools to ease congestion. Ten Category B schools will be upgraded to Category A status, equipped with modern classrooms, dormitories, libraries, and advanced science and ICT laboratories.
Dr. Forson emphasized that the programme will address inequities between well-resourced Category A schools and under-enrolled Category C schools, ensuring balanced access to quality education nationwide.
GhArticles.com Every News in Detail