Connect with us

World Sports

UAE To Host Club World Cup In Early 2022

Published

on

UAE To Host Club World Cup In Early 2022

The United Arab Emirates (UAE) will host this season’s Club World Cup in early 2022, Fifa president Gianni Infantino said on Wednesday.

Japan was originally scheduled to stage the tournament in December this year but withdrew last month due to the Covid-19 situation in the country.

“It was decided (at the Fifa Council meeting) that the Club World Cup 2021 will be played in early 2022, the precise dates are still to be defined, but the hosts after the withdrawal of Japan because of the pandemic, the hosts will be the UAE…” said Infantino.

The UAE has staged the tournament four times before — in 2009, 2010, 2017 and 2018.

Fifa last year chose Japan as host for a traditional seven-club event after an expanded 24-team tournament, originally scheduled for China in June 2021, was delayed due to the pandemic.

The annual competition brings together the champions from the six global confederations as well as the host nation’s league winners.

In other sports news, Fifa has disclosed it will try to find a consensus on hosting the World Cup every two years in time for a virtual global summit on 20 December, Gianni Infantino said on Wednesday.

READ ALSO:   Fire Guts Synagogue Church On Night Of Late Founder's Candlelight Procession; Church Reacts

The president of world football’s governing body told a press conference that there were sharply different opinions on the idea stemming from different global regions.

Gianni Infantino

Infantino said he thought it was possible to reach a common position.

“That must be our main objective: to reach a consensus,” he said.

He stressed that so far, Fifa had not asked countries whether or not they agreed with the proposals but had simply presented them to trigger discussion.

“I do believe we can reach a consensus because what I’ve said from the beginning is that we’re going to change things only if we are completely convinced that it will be beneficial for everybody,” said Infantino.

He also suggested the days of one country hosting a World Cup on its own were numbered.

The World Cup has been played every four years, apart from cancellations during World War II, since the inaugural edition in 1930.

We Will Love You To Join Our Over 170k Members Instagram Family With Just One Click @gharticles

Source: GhArticles.com

World Sports

Fred Hands Ralf Rangnick First Win As Man United Interim Coach

Published

on

Fred Hands Ralf Rangnick First Win As Man United Interim Coach

It was a fairytale first victory for Ralf Rangnick at Old Trafford as Manchester United snuck past a defensively compact Crystal Palace 1-0.

In a game filled with much hype and anticipation, the Red Devils were the brighter of the two sides, exploding out of the blocks with a new-look counter-pressing style in a 4-2-2-2 formation, going after their opposition high and winning possession back early.

Chances were in fairly short supply, however, as half opportunities for Cristiano Ronaldo and Bruno Fernandes went begging as Alex Telles hit the top of the crossbar with a fizzed free-kick just shy of midway through the second half.

United struggled in the second half to break down the organisation of the Palace defence as Patrick Vieira’s men held firm, but Rangnick had the last laugh:

READ ALSO:   Manchester United Have No Plans To Replace Ole Gunnar Solskjaer

Ralf Rangnick's impact is already benefiting some Manchester United players - Samuel Luckhurst - Manchester Evening News

Fred, a divisive name throughout the Ole Gunnar Solskjaer regime, was trusted in the engine room by the new manager, and the Brazilian curled a right-footed effort into the top corner on 77 minutes to send the home fans into raptures and devastate Vieira, who would have felt that his side’s defensive resilience had been deserving of an unlikely point.

Not quite the perfect performance, but the ideal start for the new man in the hot seat, as United march on to an enticing run of fixtures where Rangnick can really get his teeth into his new side.

We Will Love You To Join Our Over 180k Members Instagram Family With Just One Click @gharticles

Source: GhArticles.com/BBC.com

Continue Reading

World Sports

Cristiano Ronaldo Reacts To Ballon d’Or Lies After Missing The Event

Published

on

Cristiano Ronaldo Reacts To Ballon d’Or Lies After Missing The Event

Cristiano Ronaldo has released a pointed statement towards Pascal Ferre, the editor-in-chief at France Football magazine, who claimed the Manchester United striker’s only ambition is to end his career with more Ballon d’Or trophies than Lionel Messi, something the Portuguese star has vehemently denied.

Ferre was branded unacceptable by Cristiano, who also claimed the France Football chief was lying in the statements he made, in order to profit from Ronaldo’s name.

Ferre told the New York Times: “Ronaldo has only one ambition, and that is to retire with more Ballon d’Ors than Messi…. And I know that because he has told me.”

Incidentally, Ronaldo was absent from Monday evening’s Ballon d’Or ceremony with the award organised by France Football.

Ronaldo’s statement:

Today’s outcome explains Pascal Ferré’s statements last week, when he stated that I confided in him that my only ambition was to finish my career with more Golden Balls than Lionel Messi. Pascal Ferre lied, he used my name to promote himself and to promote the publication he works for.

It is unacceptable that the person responsible for awarding such a prestigious prize could lie in this way, in absolute disrespect for someone who has always respected France Football and the Ballon d’Or. And he lied again today, justifying my absence from the Gala with an alleged quarantine that has no reason to exist. I always want to congratulate those who win, within the sportsmanship and fair-play that have guided my career since the beginning, and I do it because I’m never against anyone.

READ ALSO:   PROPHECY OF DOOM?: Shatta Wale Will Be Shot To Death, Prophet Reveals

I always win for myself and for the clubs I represent, I win for myself and for those who love me. I don’t win against anyone. The biggest ambition of my career is to win national and international titles for the clubs I represent and for the national team in my country.

The biggest ambition of my career is to be a good example for all those who are or want to be professional footballers. The biggest ambition of my career is to leave my name written in golden letters in the history of world football.

I will end by saying that my focus is already on Manchester United’s next game and on everything that, together with my teammates and our fans, we can still achieve this season. The rest? The rest is just the rest.

We Will Love You To Join Our Over 170k Members Instagram Family With Just One Click @gharticles

Source: GhArticles.com

Continue Reading

Global Sports

Tiger Woods Announces His Retirement As A Full-Time Golfer

Published

on

Tiger Woods Announces His Time Retirement As A Full-Time Golfer

It’s sad to know that it’s truly the end of an iconic era, as golf legend Tiger Woods has just revealed a heartbreaking announcement that his fans are likely to take pretty hard.

During a recent interview, Tiger Woods officially confirmed that his days as a full-time golfer are now a thing of the past due to the severe injuries he sustained in a car accident earlier this year.

@CNN reports, Tiger Woods recently gave an in-depth interview with ‘Golf Digest’ where he spoke publicly about his Febrile car accident——and revealed that his golfing future is practically a thing of the past. Speaking about his decision to no longer golf full-time, Tiger said “I think something that is realistic is playing the tour one day, never full time, ever again, but pick and choose.”

He continued, adding “Pick and choose a few events a year and you play around that. You practice around that, and you gear yourself up for that. And you play. I think that’s how I’m going to have to play it from now on. It’s an unfortunate reality, but it’s my reality. And I understand it, and I accept it.”

READ ALSO:   JUST IN: Man United Confirm Raphael Varane Signing (Video)

Speaking about the extreme physical toll his car accident had on his body, Tiger Woods also explained the multiple surgeries he has endured this year——and that he still has a long road to full recovery.  “I have so far to go. … I’m not even at the halfway point. I have so much more muscle development and nerve development that I have to do in my leg. At the same time, as you know, I’ve had five back operations. So as the leg gets stronger, sometimes the back may act up. … It’s a tough road.”

 

 

 

 

We Will Love You To Join Our Over 170k Members Instagram Family With Just One Click @gharticles

Source: GhArticles.com

Continue Reading

Trending