Connect with us

African News

South Africa’s Parliament Blazes Up Again

Published

on

South Africa's Parliament Blazes Up Again

A devastating fire that swept through South Africa’s Houses of Parliament in Cape Town has reignited – hours after it was said to be under control.

Flames have been billowing from the building’s roof. Firefighters are at the scene, trying to douse the blaze.

The fire first broke out on Sunday, totally destroying the National Assembly, or lower chamber.

Police have arrested a suspect who will appear in court on Tuesday on charges of arson, housebreaking and theft.

Authorities had warned that flare-ups would be possible because of carpets and wooden floors in the building.

“The void beneath the roof sheeting of the National Assembly is on fire,” city officials said.

On Sunday, President Cyril Ramaphosa called the fire a “terrible and devastating event”.

He said the building’s sprinkler system had not functioned properly, and praised firefighters for responding to the fire in minutes.

The parliament is not currently in session because of the holidays, and no-one was injured.

Government minister Patricia de Lille said Sunday’s fire had led to the “complete burning down” of the National Assembly chamber.

CCTV cameras were not being monitored at the time the fire started on Sunday, she said.

Other areas of the parliamentary complex – parts of which date back to 1884 – were also badly damaged.

Ms De Lille said it was still too hot for people to go inside the building to check the extent of the damage, but a drone was being used to “assess the structure of the building until the temperatures can cool down”.

READ ALSO:   Maya Angelou To Become First Black Woman To Be Featured On The United States Quarter

The building is home to thousands of treasures including historic books, photographs and important works of art.

There is particular concern that the valuable Keiskamma Tapestry, which is 120m (394ft) long and documents South Africa’s history, may have been damaged or destroyed.

The Houses of Parliament in Cape Town are made up of three sections, with the oldest dating back to 1884. The newer sections built in the 1920s and 1980s house the National Assembly. The government is based in Pretoria.

Mr Ramaphosa on Sunday spoke of his sadness at “this destruction of the home of our democracy”.

Parliament said “all efforts” would be made to limit any disruption to its work.

Cape Town Mayor Geordin Hill-Lewis said the city’s Council Chamber would be made available as an alternative place for parliament to meet.

It was the second fire at the parliament in under a year. In March there was a fire caused by an electrical fault.

Last year, a fire ravaged part of the University of Cape Town’s library, which was home to a unique collection of African archives.

 

 

 

We Will Love You To Join Our Over 180k Members Instagram Family With Just One Click @gharticles

Source: GhArticles.com

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

African News

This Milo Has Expired – Sam George Shades Milovan After Black Stars Draw With Gabon

Published

on

This Milo Has Expired - Sam George Shades Milovan After Black Stars Draw With Gabon

Ghana Black Stars hopes of qualifying for round 16 of the ongoing AFCON 2021 in Cameroon seems to be despair after they drew with Gabon who grabbed a late goal to secure a point in the tight game.

Following the draw, Ghanaians have descended heavily on the Black Stars players, the coaching staff and the GFA.

The results mean that Black Stars would have to beat Comoros in the last Group C match to stand a better chance of qualifying.

READ ALSO:   Baako Suro: You're Not Chasing My Boyfriend, Please Forgive Me - Adu Safowaa Begs Nana Aba Anamoah

Outspoken Ghanaian politician and Member of Parliament for Prampram Constituency, Hon. Sam George has shaded Black Stars head coach Milovan Rajevac in a new tweet on Twitter.

Read the read it below;

 

We Will Love You To Join Our Over 180k Members Instagram Family With Just One Click @gharticles

Source: GhArticles.com

Continue Reading

African News

Naija Twitter Jubilates Over Lifting Of Ban

Published

on

Twitter Ban In Nigeria To End 'Very Soon', Information Minister Says
It is a joyful day for millions in Nigeria because its government today lifted the ban on social networking site, Twitter.

For seven months, Twitter was suspended in Africa’s most populous country because the platform deleted a tweet by President Muhammadu Buhari about punishing regional secessionists, a move government viewed as siding with the secessionists.

After the reversal, citizens have taken over Twitter, discussing how they missed the space.

Those who could not stay away from the site during the ban resorted to virtual private networks (VPNs).

They now say the days of VPN is over since they are legitimate users of the site.

Twitter is among the many platforms companies and entrepreneurs leverage to reach a wider audience.

According to the BBC, government has reversed the ban because Twitter has agreed to some conditions, including opening a local office in the country. Twitter is, however, yet to comment on the matter.

Below are some comments on #TwitterBan:

READ ALSO:   My Life Is In Danger And I Am On The Run Because This Country Want Me Dead - Shatta Wale Finally Speaks

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

We Will Love You To Join Our Over 170k Members Instagram Family With Just One Click @gharticles

Source: GhArticles.com

Continue Reading

African News

#TwitterBan: Nigeria To Lift Suspension After 6-Months

Published

on

#TwitterBan: Nigeria To Lift Suspension After 6-Months

Nigeria will lift its ban on Twitter from midnight, the government said Wednesday, a move that will give millions of people in Africa’s most populous country access to the social media platform once again.

The decision was made after Twitter agreed to meet all conditions set by the Nigerian government, according to a government statement.
Those conditions include “managing prohibited publication in line with Nigerian law” and addressing issues of operations and tax.
Last June, the Nigerian government suspended Twitter’s operations in the country, accusing the American social media giant of allowing its platform to be used “for activities that are capable of undermining Nigeria’s corporate existence.”
The ban was announced just two days after Twitter deleted a tweet by President Muhammadu Buhari that was widely perceived as offensive. In the tweet, Buhari threatened citizens in the southeast region following attacks on public property.
“The new global reality is that digital platforms and their operators wield enormous influence over the fabric of our society, social interaction and economic choices. These platforms can be used as either a tool or a weapon,” the government said in its Wednesday statement.
“Therefore, our action is a deliberate attempt to recalibrate our relationship with Twitter to achieve the maximum mutual benefits for our nation without jeopardizing the justified interests of the Company. Our engagement has been very respectful, cordial, and successful,” it said.
The government added that its decision to lift the suspension “opens a new chapter in global digital diplomacy” and “sets a new operational template for Twitter to come back stronger for the benefit of Nigerians.”
CNN has reached out to Twitter for its response to Nigeria’s announcement.
We Will Love You To Join Our Over 170k Members Instagram Family With Just One Click @gharticles

Source: GhArticles.com/CNN

READ ALSO:   SA Ex-President Jacob Zuma Seeks Public Donations For His Legal Fight
Continue Reading

Trending