Connect with us

World Sports

Ronald Koeman Sacked By Barcelona After Rayo Vallecano Defeat

Published

on

Barcelona Appoints Interim Coach After Koeman’s Dismissal

Ronald Koeman has been sacked as head coach of Barcelona after 14 months in charge at the Nou Camp.

Barca have picked up just 15 points from 10 games in La Liga and have already lost twice in the group stage of this season’s Champions League.

They are ninth in the table, six points adrift of the joint leaders after losing at Rayo Vallecano on Wednesday.

The loss was Barca’s third in their last four games and it followed defeat in Sunday’s Clasico to Real Madrid.

In a statement, the Spanish club said: “The president of the club, Joan Laporta, informed him [Koeman] of the decision after the defeat against Rayo Vallecano.

“Ronald Koeman will say goodbye to the squad on Thursday.”

The former Netherlands, Everton and Southampton boss, 58, could only guide the five-time European champions to third place in the league last season.

The Dutchman has not been helped by the club’s significant financial problems, which resulted in Lionel Messi’s exit and subsequent move to Paris St-Germain in August.

Barcelona were unable to spend any money on new signings in the summer, with Memphis Depay, Sergio Aguero and Eric Garcia arriving as free transfers and striker Luuk de Jong joining on loan from Sevilla.

READ ALSO:   UCL: Real Madrid Cruise Over Shakhtar Donetsk In A Heavy Win

Speaking after Wednesday’s defeat, Koeman said: “It [Barcelona’s league position] says we’re not well.

“The team has lost balance in the squad, lost very effective players, which shows. In recent years other clubs have strengthened every season and we haven’t, which also shows.”

Club legend Xavi, the former Barca midfielder who is now manager of Qatari side Al Sadd, is one of the favourites to replace Koeman.

It is the first time since September 1987 that Barca have lost three away games in a row without scoring – a run that saw English manager Terry Venables sacked.

Koeman won the Copa del Rey at the end of his first season but Barca finished behind Atletico Madrid and Real Madrid in La Liga with their lowest points tally since 2008.

The former Netherlands centre-back played for the Spanish club between 1989 and 1995, helping them to four league titles and scoring the winning goal in the 1992 European Cup final.

He was brought back to the club in August 2020 as head coach by former president Josep Maria Bartomeu.

We Will Love You To Join Our Over 170k Members Instagram Family With Just One Click @gharticles

Source: GhArticles.com

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World Sports

Cristiano Ronaldo Reacts To Ballon d’Or Lies After Missing The Event

Published

on

Cristiano Ronaldo Reacts To Ballon d’Or Lies After Missing The Event

Cristiano Ronaldo has released a pointed statement towards Pascal Ferre, the editor-in-chief at France Football magazine, who claimed the Manchester United striker’s only ambition is to end his career with more Ballon d’Or trophies than Lionel Messi, something the Portuguese star has vehemently denied.

Ferre was branded unacceptable by Cristiano, who also claimed the France Football chief was lying in the statements he made, in order to profit from Ronaldo’s name.

Ferre told the New York Times: “Ronaldo has only one ambition, and that is to retire with more Ballon d’Ors than Messi…. And I know that because he has told me.”

Incidentally, Ronaldo was absent from Monday evening’s Ballon d’Or ceremony with the award organised by France Football.

Ronaldo’s statement:

Today’s outcome explains Pascal Ferré’s statements last week, when he stated that I confided in him that my only ambition was to finish my career with more Golden Balls than Lionel Messi. Pascal Ferre lied, he used my name to promote himself and to promote the publication he works for.

It is unacceptable that the person responsible for awarding such a prestigious prize could lie in this way, in absolute disrespect for someone who has always respected France Football and the Ballon d’Or. And he lied again today, justifying my absence from the Gala with an alleged quarantine that has no reason to exist. I always want to congratulate those who win, within the sportsmanship and fair-play that have guided my career since the beginning, and I do it because I’m never against anyone.

READ ALSO:   BREAKING: Gun Found In Prophet Jesus Ahuofe’s House

I always win for myself and for the clubs I represent, I win for myself and for those who love me. I don’t win against anyone. The biggest ambition of my career is to win national and international titles for the clubs I represent and for the national team in my country.

The biggest ambition of my career is to be a good example for all those who are or want to be professional footballers. The biggest ambition of my career is to leave my name written in golden letters in the history of world football.

I will end by saying that my focus is already on Manchester United’s next game and on everything that, together with my teammates and our fans, we can still achieve this season. The rest? The rest is just the rest.

We Will Love You To Join Our Over 170k Members Instagram Family With Just One Click @gharticles

Source: GhArticles.com

Continue Reading

Global Sports

Tiger Woods Announces His Retirement As A Full-Time Golfer

Published

on

Tiger Woods Announces His Time Retirement As A Full-Time Golfer

It’s sad to know that it’s truly the end of an iconic era, as golf legend Tiger Woods has just revealed a heartbreaking announcement that his fans are likely to take pretty hard.

During a recent interview, Tiger Woods officially confirmed that his days as a full-time golfer are now a thing of the past due to the severe injuries he sustained in a car accident earlier this year.

@CNN reports, Tiger Woods recently gave an in-depth interview with ‘Golf Digest’ where he spoke publicly about his Febrile car accident——and revealed that his golfing future is practically a thing of the past. Speaking about his decision to no longer golf full-time, Tiger said “I think something that is realistic is playing the tour one day, never full time, ever again, but pick and choose.”

He continued, adding “Pick and choose a few events a year and you play around that. You practice around that, and you gear yourself up for that. And you play. I think that’s how I’m going to have to play it from now on. It’s an unfortunate reality, but it’s my reality. And I understand it, and I accept it.”

READ ALSO:   BREAKING: Gun Found In Prophet Jesus Ahuofe’s House

Speaking about the extreme physical toll his car accident had on his body, Tiger Woods also explained the multiple surgeries he has endured this year——and that he still has a long road to full recovery.  “I have so far to go. … I’m not even at the halfway point. I have so much more muscle development and nerve development that I have to do in my leg. At the same time, as you know, I’ve had five back operations. So as the leg gets stronger, sometimes the back may act up. … It’s a tough road.”

 

 

 

 

We Will Love You To Join Our Over 170k Members Instagram Family With Just One Click @gharticles

Source: GhArticles.com

Continue Reading

World Sports

Alexia Putellas Wins Women’s Ballon d’Or 2021

Published

on

Alexia Putellas Wins Women's Ballon d'Or 2021

Barcelona and Spain midfielder Alexia Putellas has won the 2021 women’s Ballon d’Or.

Alexia Putellas was one of five players nominated from the Barcelona team following their first Champions League triumph along with winning the Primera Division title.

She was the highest-scoring midfielder in Europe with 26 goals in all competitions last season.

The 27-year-old was also named UEFA’s Women’s Player of the Year and midfielder of the year.

Barcelona team-mate Jennifer Hermoso was second, with Chelsea forward Sam Kerr third and Arsenal striker Vivianne Miedema fourth.

IN MY OWN WORDS: Alexia Putellas

Speaking through a translator at the Paris ceremony, Putellas said: “I’m very emotional, it’s a very special moment.

“I would like to start by thanking all my team-mates, especially my current [Barcelona] team-mates. For me it’s a collective success.”

READ ALSO:   BREAKING: Gun Found In Prophet Jesus Ahuofe’s House

The only previous women’s award winners are Norway striker Ada Hegerberg in 2018 and USA forward Megan Rapinoe in 2019.

The 2020 awards were cancelled because the coronavirus pandemic disrupted the season.

The men’s award followed afterwards with PSG and Argentina forward Lionel Messi winning his seventh Ballon d’Or.

We Will Love You To Join Our Over 170k Members Instagram Family With Just One Click @gharticles

Source: GhArticles.com

Continue Reading

Trending