Connect with us

Gh News

JUST IN: Ghana Records Two New Cases Of Omicron COVID-19 Variant

Published

on

JUST IN: Ghana Records Two New Cases Of Omicron COVID-19 Variant

The Ghana Health Service (GHS) has confirmed that two cases of the Omicron variant of the coronavirus (Covid-19) have been recorded in Ghana on November 21.

The confirmation was made by the Director General of the GHS, Dr Patrick Kumah Aboagye in Accra on Wednesday December 1.

“There is the emergence of the new variant and I must say, through the robust testing at the Kotoka International Airport, Ghana has detected the Omicron variant already and the cases have come mainly from Nigeria and South Africa. The very first case that was detected during our sequencing was on the 21 of November”, Dr Patrick Kumah Aboagye told pressmen.

The new variant, according to the GHS, has not yet been detected in the communities. However, Dr. Kumah Aboagye mentioned there is the potential of a community spread “if someone has omicron and it’s incubating it will not be detected at the airport”.

THIS IS TRENDING:   Rev. Owusu Bempah Rushed To Police Hospital After Court Refused To Grant Him Bail

He said it is important for all to adhere to all the Covid-19 protocols especially as the festive season nears and more visited are expected.

About the Omicron variant

Table of Contents

The World Health Organization has called Omicron a “variant of concern” and on Monday warned that the global risks posed by it were “very high,” despite what officials described as a multitude of uncertainties. Cases have been identified in 20 countries so far, including Britain, Italy, Belgium and the Netherlands. Although Omicron has not yet been detected in the United States, experts say it is only a matter of time before the variant shows up.

Source: GhArticles.com/3news.com

 

Gh News

Marwako Food Poisoning: Authority Has No Mandate To Demand Compensation For Victims – FDA

Published

on

Marwako Food Poisoning: Authority Has No Mandate To Demand Compensation For Victims - FDA

Food and Drugs Authority (FDA)’s Director of Legal says they cannot demand compensation for victims of the alleged food poisoning at Marwako’s East Legon branch.

Joseph Bennie said the Authority has no mandate to pressure for amends in cash from the eatery to the affected persons.

In an interview with YEN.com.gh, monitored by GhArticles.com, Bennie said the FDA can carry out sanctions in the form of ”a ban, fine, caution, or prosecution” in such cases.

The Acting Director’s comments come amid widespread reports of food poisoning at Marwako’s East Legon branch on social media, leading to the closure of the restaurant.

He said the closure of the eatery was to prevent an escalation of reported cases of food poisoning.

THIS IS TRENDING:   Hackers Steal Nearly $100m In Japan Crypto Heist

Speaking on the investigations, Joseph Bennie said the FDA is yet to establish the cause of the food poisoning. ”Investigations will conclude in not less than a week or more,” he told YEN.comgh, sighted by GhArticles.com.

As previously reported that the management of Marwako has appealed to the FDA to open other branches closed down following complaints of food poisoning at its East Legon branch.

PRO for Marwako Fast Food Ltd, Mohammed Amin Lamptey, said while the popular food business accepts the decision of the FDA, the industry regulator, it is only fair for the affected branch to be shut down.

THIS IS TRENDING:   French To Become A Language Requirement For Prospective Employees

”The FDA shut down of our branches is quite unfortunate and it is really something that is going to create another problem for Mawako Fast Foods Limited. In as much as we all know that it is an isolated case…we thought that the FDA will focus on the East Legon branch,” Lamptey told reporters on Thursday, May 12, 2022.

 

We Will Love You To Join Our Over 201k Members Instagram Family With Just One Click @gharticles

Source: GhArticles.com

Continue Reading

Gh News

Reduce 1.5% E-levy Rate — ISSER To Gov’t

Published

on

E-levy Proceeds Will Create Jobs For Over 11 Million People - Ofori-Atta

The Institute of Statistical Social and Economic Research (ISSER) wants the government to reduce the rate of the controversial electronic transfer levy.

According to ISSER, the government must consider a downward adjustment between 0.5% and 0.75% adding that the 1.5% on all electronic transfers is punitive.

The Director of the institute, Professor Peter Quartey, speaking on the topic: “Harnessing stakeholder engagement and feedback for research impact” at the 2022 ISSER Road Show at the University of Education, Winneba (UEW) said with the current 1.5% rate, the government’s goal of mobilizing about GH¢4.1 billion would be missed as more people would avoid using the platform but instead use alternative methods to avoid paying the tax.

THIS IS TRENDING:   Marwako Food Poisoning: Authority Has No Mandate To Demand Compensation For Victims - FDA

He stated that “The 1.5% E-transaction levy rate is punitive and should be revised downwards to between 0.5% and 0.75% to allow more people to use the service and avoid eroding the gains made in digital financial inclusion.”

The E-levy was introduced by the government in the 2022 Budget for basic transactions related to digital payments and electronic platform transactions.

The levy has sparked controversy because of its impact on mobile money transactions and the impoverished Ghanaians that use it.

 

We Will Love You To Join Our Over 201k Members Instagram Family With Just One Click @gharticles

Source: GhArticles.com

Continue Reading

Gh News

Heavy Downpour Leaves Some Parts Of Accra Flooded Again

Published

on

Heavy Downpour Leaves Some Parts Of Accra Flooded Again

Some parts of Accra got flooded Saturday morning following a brief downpour.

Areas such as Kaneshie First Light, Abbosey Okai and Adabraka Sahara, Dansoman, and Odorkor were affected by the floods.

The situation resulted in heavy vehicular traffic in different parts of Accra.

Motorists were left with no choice but to abandon their vehicles after their cars and motorbikes got choked in the floods.

Ghanaians have as usual expressed their anger and lamented at how a little rainfall causes floods.

Some Ghanaians who were affected by the floods quickly took to social media to lament the situation.

The video below shows the floods on the main Kaneshie highway in front of the market.

Watch the video below:

 

We Will Love You To Join Our Over 201k Members Instagram Family With Just One Click @gharticles

THIS IS TRENDING:   Lamashegu: Tamale Police and Youth Clash Update: Police Admission Interdicts 6 Police Officers - Report

Source: GhArticles.com

Continue Reading

Trending