Connect with us

African Sports

Former South African Footballer Beaten To Death For Allegedly Stealing Electricity Cable

Published

on

Former South African Footballer Beaten To Death For Allegedly Stealing Electricity Cable

Two suspects have been arrested for the murder of former South African footballer, Lucky Maselesele.

The 41-year-old former Kaizer Chiefs, Maritzburg United and Black Leopards midfielder was allegedly beaten to death by community members after being accused of stealing electricity cables.

Police spokesperson, Lieutenant-Colonel Mavela Masondo, who confirmed the incident on Saturday, October 16, said police received a complaint of community members assaulting an unknown man on Wednesday night.

“When the police approached, the group ran away, and the police managed to apprehend two suspects,” Masondo said.

“It is alleged that the deceased was accused by the community of stealing electrical cables in the area. He was certified dead on the scene by the paramedics.”

The deceased had since been identified as Maselesele.

Masondo said both suspects were charged with murder, and one had since appeared in the Alexandra Magistrate’s Court.

READ ALSO:   Kevin Durant Trends Following Facial Reaction To Being Asked About His Nickname

The matter was postponed for a formal bail application.

“Police are still continuing with the investigation,” Masondo added.

The South African footballer who played for Kaizer Chiefs between 1998 and 2004 having come through its youth ranks, was known for his dribbling skills and high work rate. He was capped once at international level.

After moving to Maritzburg United, the soccer player’s career spiralled downwards after being banned for testing positive for cocaine.

In 2009, newspaper The Witness reported that the midfielder received a two-year ban from the SA Football Association’s disciplinary committee.

We Will Love You To Join Our Over 170k Members Instagram Family With Just One Click @gharticles

Source: GhArticles.com

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

African Sports

2022 WCQ: Ghana v South Africa Re-match Unlikely – Hugo Broos

Published

on

2022 WCQ: Ghana v South Africa Re-match Unlikely – Hugo Broos

South Africa coach, Hugo Broos, seems to have given up on facing Ghana again in the World Cup qualifier as demanded by SAFA.

The South Africa Football Association [SAFA] lodged a complaint with FIFA, alleging they were robbed following their defeat to Ghana in the crucial match early this month.

Bafana Bafana suffered a 1-0 defeat to the Black Stars in the final Group G games staged at the Cape Coast Stadium early this month.

Andre Ayew scored the only goal of the game through a spot-kick to book a place in the playoffs.

South Africa want a replay and the main match official, Senegalese Ndiaye Maguette suspended for awarding a ‘dubious’ penalty against them.

FIFA referred the matter to Disciplinary Committee who commenced investigation last week.

Broos, who took charge of Bafana in May this year, feels that Ndiaye will only be suspended and a rematch will not be ordered by Fifa.

“Fifa met on Tuesday,” Broos told HLN Sportcast. “We expect a decision in the course of this week. It’s not just about the penalty kick, it’s about the whole game. The referee made 71 decisions, 47 of which were foul. The analysis has shown that. And 90 per cent of those 47 wrong decisions were against us.”

READ ALSO:   Super Cup: Kepa Hero As Chelsea Beat Villarreal On Penalties

“You have to be able to prove something like that in black and white. Was he bribed? Wasn’t he pressured? Or was he just having a really bad day? The numbers are there, but is that enough for FIFA? I personally think that it will remain with a suspension for the referee and that we should not count on a replay.”

Bafana finished second on the Group G standings – level points with Ghana and with the same goal difference, who won the group due to superior goals scored.

Fifa has confirmed that the draw for the third round will take place in January 2022 while the matches will be played in March in the same year.

We Will Love You To Join Our Over 170k Members Instagram Family With Just One Click @gharticles

Source: GhArticles.com

Continue Reading

African Sports

2022 World Cup: CAF Confirms Details For Nigeria, Egypt, Ghana fixtures

Published

on

2022 World Cup: CAF Confirms Details For Nigeria, Egypt, Ghana fixtures
The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has confirmed that the FIFA ranking for January, will be used to determine the seeded teams for the 2022 World Cup play-offs.

This means Nigeria for instance, could drop off the top five, in which they are currently included.

CAF reached this decision at its Extraordinary General Assembly held in Cairo, Egypt on Friday.

It was announced that the play-off draws would be held on January 26.

The top five countries will be seeded and will face the non-seed teams in the two-legged fixtures.

READ ALSO:   Super Cup: Kepa Hero As Chelsea Beat Villarreal On Penalties

The first leg fixtures will take place at the lower-ranked team’s home.

The higher teams that have qualified for the playoffs are Senegal, Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria, Nigeria.

The lower-ranked teams are Egypt, Cameroon, Ghana, Mali, Congo DR.

 

 

We Will Love You To Join Our Over 170k Members Instagram Family With Just One Click @gharticles

Source: GhArticles.com

 

Continue Reading

African Sports

South Africa claims betting spike during Ghana World Cup qualifying game

Published

on

South Africa claims betting spike during Ghana World Cup qualifying game

There was a clear pattern of match manipulation during South Africa’s 2022 World Cup qualifier against Ghana, according to South African Football Association (Safa) president Danny Jordaan.

Ghana beat Bafana Bafana 1-0 on Sunday in the crucial qualifier – a result which saw the Black Stars advance to Africa’s play-offs for the tournament at the expense of the South Africans on goals scored.

Safa lodged a complaint with Fifa about the match and the world governing body, in a letter dated 17 November, said the protest will be submitted to a member of its disciplinary committee on 23 November for consideration.

South Africa’s protest included allegations of “match-fixing, match manipulation including corruption and bribery”, which Jordaan claimed may be linked to gambling at a press conference on Wednesday.

“How is it that there’s a betting spike just before a major decision is taken and therefore people bet? They knew when to bet,” he said.

READ ALSO:   OFFICIAL: Man Utd Confirm £41m Varane Agreement With Real Madrid

The Ghana Football Association, which has dismissed any match-fixing allegation, has been asked for its observations on the matter.

Ghana’s winning goal came from a first-half penalty when Daniel Amartey went down following what appeared minimal contact from defender Rushine de Reuck.

The Fifa disciplinary code allows protests based on “an obvious error” by a referee.

A comprehensive report on the match had been compiled by former South African referee Ace Ncobo and will be used as part of Safa’s protest with Fifa.

Ncobo said he picked up 71 major incidents from the match where he believes that the referee either turned a blind eye in favour of Ghana or made incorrect calls against the South African team.

We Will Love You To Join Our Over 170k Members Instagram Family With Just One Click @gharticles

Source: GhArticles.com

Continue Reading

Trending