Connect with us

Ghana Politics

2020 Election: IGP, AG Sued Over Election 2020 Injuries And Loss Of Life

Published

on

2020 Election: IGP, AG Sued Over Election 2020 Injuries And Loss Of Life

The Inspector-General of Police (IGP) and Attorney General (AG) have been sued in two different matters by persons who suffered injuries and a family whose relative died during violence that marred the 2020 election.

The first suit is filed by lawyers of one Edmond Ayarek of Gyarko at Techiman. He described himself as the father of one Abdallah Ayarek who he says lost his life during the elections.

Mr Ayarek alleges his son was killed by a firearm discharged by security personnel on December 8 at the Techiman South Collation Centre.

He believes this contravenes his son’s right to life guaranteed under Ghana’s constitution. Other rights he argues have equally been violated included those requiring the state to respect and uphold the right to human life and human dignity with freedom from torture being a requirement.

He is, therefore, demanding that the state is ordered to investigate the killing as soon as possible and punish the perpetrators.

He is also asking for an amount of ¢10 million to be paid as compensation for the psychological trauma suffered by the family as a result of the death.

His written statement attached to the court documents recounts the events of December 8. He claims his son followed relative to the collation centre to observe the announcement of results.

Mr Ayarek said he later heard on radio that there was an incident of gunshot firing at the centre.

He was later informed that his son had been shot. He arrived at the Techiman Family Hospital where he had been asked to show up to receive the unfortunate news of the death.

He explained he has so far seen videos of the incident and believes it is quite obvious that the security personnel were shooting right into the defenseless and harmless crowd and not into the sky.

One of the videos, he alleges, captured his son who had been shot receiving help from the crowd.

He, therefore, believes the security personnel were unprofessional and harboured the premeditated agenda of killing. He concludes by pointing out that the Bono Region Security Council issued a statement pledging to investigate the matter and providing the necessary support for the affected families. This pledge, he alleges, has not been fulfilled.

READ ALSO:   [Hot Video] Top Respected NDC Member Caught on Bed with Someone's Wife

The second writ is issued on behalf of Sulemana Ellison, Abubakr Iddirisu, Alhassan Nasiru, Aremeaw Alhassan, Alhassan Abdul Rahman and Paul Asue, all residents of Techiman.

All six persons claim they suffered gunshot injuries and other injuries on the 8th day of December 2020 election.

They believe this contravenes their right to life guaranteed under Ghana’s constitution. Other rights they argue have equally been violated include those requiring the state to respect and uphold the right to human life and human dignity with freedom from torture as a requirement.

They are, therefore, demanding that the state is ordered to investigate the matter as soon as possible and punish the perpetrators.

They are also asking for an amount of ¢5 million to be paid as compensation for the psychological trauma and injury suffered by Sulemana Eliasu who they say has been rendered physically challenged. The remaining five persons are asking for an amount of ¢2 million each.

A written statement attached to the court document recounts the events of December 8.

They alleged they heard gunshots followed by the word “fire” while they monitored the collation of votes at the Techiman Collation centre.

They further stated that while fleeing the scene, they were pursued viciously with the gunshots as though they were wild animals. The shooting spree, they explained, resulted in the various injuries suffered with two of the injured persons spending sums in the region of ¢26,000 on medical treatment.

They say they have so far seen videos of the incident and it’s quite obvious that the security personnel were shooting right into the defenseless and harmless crowd and not into the sky.

They, therefore, believe the security personnel were unprofessional and harboured the premeditated agenda of killing and injuring people.

They conclude by pointing out that the Bono Region Security Council issued a statement pledging to investigate the matter and providing the necessary support for the affected families. This pledge, they alleged, has not been fulfilled.

Source: GhArticles.com/Adomonline

Ghana Politics

NDC’s MPs Vote Against 2022 Budget As Parliament Reject It

Published

on

NDC's MPs Vote Against 2022 Budget As Parliament Reject It

News gathered by GhArticles.com indicates that the 2022 year budget dubbed “Agyenkwa Budget” has been rejected by the House of Parliament.

The budget which was debated on today and voted for had 137 against it and 0 votes for it’s approval.

This means that the new policies introduced by government for 2022 can not be implemented.

In a report filed by Mynewsghana.com, the Minority had requested the Finance Minister to scrape the E-Levy and make provisions for the Ketu sea defense project.

Though members of the majority were absence from the chamber for almost four hours, they came back after a call from the minority to Ghanaians to call on their MPs to part take in the debate and voting.

However, after debating the budget, the Minister of Finance appeared before the house and prayed on the Speaker to put on hold the approval of the budget for further consultation with leaders of both side but was met with rejection as those who said No were approved by the Speaker.

READ ALSO:   December Election Might Be Postponed Due To Western Togoland Secessionist

After the approval on the NOs the deputy majority leader rose up and called out the speaker for not pronouncing the right judgement.

He prayed on the Speaker to rely on ‘Division’ in order 114. Subsequent to the implementation of order 114, the majority walked out of the chamber, after the Speaker ordered ministers who are not MPs to leave the House as stated in order 114.

This led to their side recording zero (0) when the Speaker returned to assume proceedings after recusing the House for 5 minutes. It must be noted that this is the first time a budget is being rejected in the fourth Republic.

We Will Love You To Join Our Over 170k Members Instagram Family With Just One Click @gharticles

Source: GhArticles.com

Continue Reading

Ghana Politics

Keep Quiet, Gov’t Is Responding To Pressure To Build More Infrastructure – Information Minister Tells Ghanaians

Published

on

Keep Quiet, Gov't Is Responding To Pressure To Build More Infrastructure - Information Minister Tells Ghanaians

Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, Information Minister has descended on Ghanaians who are criticizing the government over the new taxes introduced in the 2022 budget to aid in building more infrastructure in the country.

According to him, Ghanaians are always on the streets of the country protesting against lack of roads, lack of infrastructure and other issues.

Addressing the Parliament in their recent meeting, the Information Minister said the government is responding to the pressure from Ghanaians to build more infrastructure in the country in the coming years.

He further noted that MPs tell people in their constituency they are going to Parliament to fight for infrastructure for their area and so believes the new taxes will help government to achieve this dream.

“Everyday we demonstrations in all our constituencies asking for more roads, everyday we see more calls on government to spend money on more infrastructure. Mr Speaker the government has responded by making available in the 2022 budget GHS16billion for infrastructure,” Kojo Nkrumah said.

He said this is another good reason for all Ghanaians to support the government’s agenda.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Ghana News Place 🇬🇭 (@gharticles)

Earlier on GhArticles.com reported that, the government, as part of strategies to widen the country’s tax net, has announced an Electronic Transaction Levy.

It will be a 1.75 percent charge on all electronic transactions.

This fee, according to the Finance Minister, Ken Ofori-Atta, is to enhance financial inclusion and protect the vulnerable.

Transactions covering mobile money payments, banks transfers, merchant payments, and inward remittances will have the levy imposed on them and will be borne by the sender.

However, the levy will be waived for transactions that amount to GHS 100 or less in a day or approximately GHS 3,000 per month.

The government says portions of revenue collected from the levy will be used to support entrepreneurship, youth employment, cybersecurity, digital, and road infrastructure among others.

We Will Love You To Join Our Over 170k Members Instagram Family With Just One Click @gharticles

Source: GhArticles.com

READ ALSO:   Okada Riders Are Not Dumb - Bernard Okoe Boye To John Mahama
Continue Reading

Ghana Politics

Sky Train In Ghana Not Possible, It’s Was Just A Campaign Promise – Peter Amewu Tells Ghanaians

Published

on

Sky Train In Ghana Not Possible, It’s Was Just A Campaign Promise – Peter Amewu Tells Ghanaians

Minister of Railway Development, John Peter Amewu, has stated that the government will not be able to build a sky train in the country.

It is impossible for him to do so, according to him;…. On the fringes of the African Investment Forum in South Africa in November 2019, the government, through then-Minister for the Sector, Joe Ghartey, inked a deal for the building of the Accra SkyTrain Project.

The proposed initiative in Accra calls for the construction of five routes, four of which are radial routes that originate at the proposed Sky Train Terminal, which is located at the Kwame Nkrumah Circle in the heart of Accra, and one route that provides an intra-city commuter loop distribution service.

The idea called for a total track length of 194 kilometers across all lines.

Following that, the Ghana Railway Development Authority’s management announced that feasibility studies for the projected Accra sky-train project had been completed.

Richard Diedong Dombo, the Authority’s Chief Executive Officer (CEO), stated that after reviewing the report, the government will begin implementing the project.

“Instead of being subterranean, the sky trains travel on an elevator platform. They’ll be sprinting over Accra’s cityscape on platforms. It will be a local train rather than an intercity train. The visibility studies have been finished, and the contract is currently being evaluated before it is signed,” he stated in a Citi News interview.

However, current sector minister John Peter Amewu stated on Citi TV’s Face to Face show on Tuesday, November 23, 2021, that the government will not proceed with the sky railway project.

READ ALSO:   Kennedy Agyapong To Consider Running For President If.........

The government, he claims, will not be able to support the project since it is capital intensive.

“The sky train we’re talking about is one that will operate on columns in the sky, similar to those seen in Dubai, but no agreement has been inked.”

“It’s not possible right now.” I don’t think a sky train will be built in the next 3-4 years. There will be no Sky train service in the country. “It’s impossible.”

He also stated that the government’s ability to fund the building of some of the projects that have already begun is becoming a challenge.

“Rail construction takes a long time and requires a lot of money. In terms of building an asphaltic road, a kilometer of railway line costs about four to five times as much as a kilometer of concrete infrastructure.”

“So, given the budgetary space that we have in the country, the government’s ability to absorb it is becoming a challenge, and you know our current debt to GDP ratio is above 70%.”

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Ghana News Place 🇬🇭 (@gharticles)

We Will Love You To Join Our Over 170k Members Instagram Family With Just One Click @gharticles

Source: GhArticles.com

Continue Reading

Trending