Connect with us

World Sports

Netherlands Confirms Louis van Gaal For Third Stint As New Coach

Published

on

Netherlands Confirms Louis van Gaal For Third Stint As New Coach

Dutchman Louis van Gaal will return for a third time as the national football coach, leading the team to the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, the Dutch football federation (KNVB) said Wednesday.

The appointment of the 69-year-old, dubbed the “Iron Tulip”, comes after the resignation of Frank de Boer in June after the Netherlands’ dismal last-16 exit from Euro 2020.

The no-nonsense Van Gaal, whose last major job was at Manchester United, previously managed the Oranje between 2000-2002 and 2012-2014, when they finished third at the World Cup in Brazil.

“Dutch football has always been close to my heart and national coaching is in my view a key position for the further advancement of our football. Moreover, I consider it an honour to coach the Dutch national team,” Van Gaal said in a statement released by the KNVB.

“There is little time for the next qualifying matches, which are immediately crucial for participation in the World Cup. The focus is therefore immediately 100 per cent on the players and the approach. After all, I was appointed for that.”

Louis van Gaal

The Dutch federation said it had been looking for a coach with “exceptional qualities” to turn the ship around with a “minimal preparation period” for the World Cup.

“With his experience and track record at the highest level, we believe that we have that coach in Louis van Gaal,” KNVB Director of Football Nico-Jan Hoogma said.

“Contact was established quickly and we have spoken frequently since then. We are happy that Louis is taking on this job.”

During Van Gaal’s first spell as manager, the Dutch failed to qualify for the 2002 World Cup in Japan and South Korea, but the Netherlands finished third in Brazil in 2014 during his second stint.

He then went on to take up a coaching job with Manchester United but was unceremoniously axed by the club two days after winning the FA Cup in 2016.

Van Gaal at the time said winning the FA Cup with the Red Devils “was the greatest achievement of my career.”

The often brash and straight-talking Van Gaal announced his “retirement” in January 2017.

Source: GhArticles.com

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World Sports

Young Boys Shock Man United In Champions League Opener; Ronaldo Scores Again

Published

on

Young Boys Shock Man United In Champions League Opener; Ronaldo Scores Again

Cristiano Ronaldo scored again for Manchester United, but they were beaten 2-1 late on by Young Boys in their Champions League opener after Aaron Wan-Bissaka’s red card.

Despite playing with 10 men 55 minutes, it looked like a solid defensive display would see United come away with a point.

But a late error from Jesse Lingard allowed Jordan Pefok (90+5) to slot home the winner with the final kick of the game.

Man Utd had been heavy favourites heading into the game, and made the perfect start as Ronaldo – who went level with Iker Casillas on all-time Champions League appearances (177) – slotted through David Von Ballmoos’ legs inside 13 minutes.

Young Boys

But the complexion of the match-up was changed in the 35th minute as Wan-Bissaka was shown a straight red for a heavy and clumsy challenge on Christopher Martins.

READ ALSO:   Anthony Baffoe Leaves CAF After 4 Years Of Great Service

Sensing an opportunity and buoyed by a passionate home crowd, Young Boys pressed and probed for the leveller and made the breakthrough midway through the second half. Moumi Ngamaleu (66) poked the ball past David de Gea, before Pefok scored a late second following continuous pressure from the host

It was a nightmare start for Man Utd in Group F, who will welcome Villarreal – who beat them in the Europa League final three months ago – to Old Trafford in two weeks’ time in desperate need of three points.

Source: GhArticles.com

Continue Reading

World Sports

Cristiano Ronaldo’s Mother Weeps

Published

on

Cristiano Ronaldo’s Mother Weeps

It was a day to remember at Old Trafford when Cristiano Ronaldo made an emotional return to the Theatre of Dreams.

The 36-year-old completed a stunning return to the club on transfer deadline day in August, returning to the northwest 12 years after his world-record move to Real Madrid.

There was a question mark over whether Ronaldo would start against Newcastle on Saturday but Ole Gunnar Solskjaer threw the forward in from the start against the Magpies and he didn’t disappoint, scoring twice in a 4-1 victory.

Ronaldo’s every touch was met with fanfare by the 76,000-strong crowd at Old Trafford and the roar after both of his goals brought memories of old back, with Sir Alex Ferguson watching on from the stands.

cristiano

Tickets for the game were selling for up to £3,000 after Ronaldo’s arrival and one of the lucky spectators was the forward’s mother, Dolores.

The 66-year-old has followed her son’s career around the world but she was overjoyed at his return to United as she’s never forgotten the way the club treated her and her family during their initial six-year stay in the northwest.

READ ALSO:   MTN FA Cup Final: Accra Sports Stadium To Host Hearts vs Ashgold

And the emotion of the occasion was clearly too much as Dolores was spotted crying tears of joy after watching her son score on his return to the club.

United take on Young Boys in the Champions League on Tuesday and Ronaldo will be pushing to start in Switzerland.

Solskjaer opted for a front three of Ronaldo, Jadon Sancho and Mason Greenwood against the Magpies as Edinson Cavani was struggling with injury.

Fred, Donny van de Beek and Diogo Dalot could start against the Swiss side as Solskjaer is likely to rotate.

We Will Love You To Join Our Over 160k Members Instagram Family With Just One Click @gharticles

Source: GhArticles.com

Continue Reading

World Sports

Real Madrid Survive Celta Vigo Scare As Benzema Stars

Published

on

Real Madrid Survive Celta Vigo Scare As Benzema Stars

Real Madrid survived a strong start by Celta Vigo to put on a show for their fans on a triumphant return to the Estadio Santiago Bernabeu.

It had looked like Celta would spoil the party as Los Blancos’ defence looked suspect, but the attacking players made amends.

Real Madrid

Vinicius Junior was one of the standouts, along with the usual suspects Luka Modric and Karim Benzema, while there was a debut to remember for Eduardo Camavinga.

MATCH REPORT

It may have looked slightly different, but this Sunday’s game saw football return to the famous Santiago Bernabéu stadium once more after well over a year away.

Celta Vigo would look to really spoil the party, as a poor result could knock Madrid miles away from the top spot they had managed to grab onto in the table.

READ ALSO:   'Our Game With Ashanti Gold Was Fixed, So I Decided To Score Two Own Goals' - Inter Allies Defender Drops Bomshell

The ever impressive Miguel Gutiérrez started his first game at the stadium as a left-back, after impressing for Castilla at the start of their season.

Only two Castilla players found themselves elsewhere in the squad, with Luis López and Antonio Blanco called up. New signing Eduardo Camavinga was also listed on the strong bench. Karim Benzema captained the side last night.

We Will Love You To Join Our Over 160k Members Instagram Family With Just One Click @gharticles

Source: GhArticles.com

Continue Reading

Trending