Connect with us

Gh News

Labour Commission Sues UTAG For Refusing To Call Off Strike

Published

on

Labour Commission sues UTAG for refusing to call off strike

The National Labour Commission (NLC) has gone to court to compel the University Teachers Association of Ghana (UTAG) to call off its ongoing strike.

The NLC’s latest move follows the resolve by UTAG to continue its 3-week-old industrial action although the commission had declared it illegal.

UTAG members across the country have laid down their tools to demand better conditions of service but the NLC declared their action illegal on January 13, 2022.

15-member campuses of the Association however held independent emergency meetings and disagreed with the directive to return to the classroom.

Now, as all efforts to get the lectures back to the lecture halls have failed, the NLC is praying the court to force them to comply with its directive.

THIS IS TRENDING:   April 15th And 18th Declared Public Holidays For Good Friday And Easter Monday

It remains to be seen whether or not UTAG will respect the decision of the court if it upholds the directive of the NLC asking them to call off the strike. The association has vowed to continue the strike until their demands are met by the government.

They have declared their preparedness to face the NLC in court on February 3, when the case is expected to be heard.

“We will be in court on February 3. The Commission gives a directive, but it is only a court that can enforce it.

“UTAG believes that we have made all the necessary documentation available to the Commission before embarking on a strike. Until our demands are met, we will continue the strike,” Myjoyonline.com quoted UTAG as having said.

They also want the 2013 Interim Market Premium (IMP) of 114% of Basic Salary restored.

According to UTAG, the current salary arrangement has reduced its members’ basic premiums to $997.84 instead of the 2012 conditions of service which put entry-level lecturers on a monthly pay of $2,084.42.

We Will Love You To Join Our Over 190k Members Instagram Family With Just One Click @gharticles

Gh News

Marwako Food Poisoning: Authority Has No Mandate To Demand Compensation For Victims – FDA

Published

on

Marwako Food Poisoning: Authority Has No Mandate To Demand Compensation For Victims - FDA

Food and Drugs Authority (FDA)’s Director of Legal says they cannot demand compensation for victims of the alleged food poisoning at Marwako’s East Legon branch.

Joseph Bennie said the Authority has no mandate to pressure for amends in cash from the eatery to the affected persons.

In an interview with YEN.com.gh, monitored by GhArticles.com, Bennie said the FDA can carry out sanctions in the form of ”a ban, fine, caution, or prosecution” in such cases.

The Acting Director’s comments come amid widespread reports of food poisoning at Marwako’s East Legon branch on social media, leading to the closure of the restaurant.

He said the closure of the eatery was to prevent an escalation of reported cases of food poisoning.

THIS IS TRENDING:   Kennedy Agyapong Slapped With A Law Suit By Multimedia Group

Speaking on the investigations, Joseph Bennie said the FDA is yet to establish the cause of the food poisoning. ”Investigations will conclude in not less than a week or more,” he told YEN.comgh, sighted by GhArticles.com.

As previously reported that the management of Marwako has appealed to the FDA to open other branches closed down following complaints of food poisoning at its East Legon branch.

PRO for Marwako Fast Food Ltd, Mohammed Amin Lamptey, said while the popular food business accepts the decision of the FDA, the industry regulator, it is only fair for the affected branch to be shut down.

THIS IS TRENDING:   Gov't To Start Taxing Online Businesses

”The FDA shut down of our branches is quite unfortunate and it is really something that is going to create another problem for Mawako Fast Foods Limited. In as much as we all know that it is an isolated case…we thought that the FDA will focus on the East Legon branch,” Lamptey told reporters on Thursday, May 12, 2022.

 

We Will Love You To Join Our Over 201k Members Instagram Family With Just One Click @gharticles

Source: GhArticles.com

Continue Reading

Gh News

Reduce 1.5% E-levy Rate — ISSER To Gov’t

Published

on

E-levy Proceeds Will Create Jobs For Over 11 Million People - Ofori-Atta

The Institute of Statistical Social and Economic Research (ISSER) wants the government to reduce the rate of the controversial electronic transfer levy.

According to ISSER, the government must consider a downward adjustment between 0.5% and 0.75% adding that the 1.5% on all electronic transfers is punitive.

The Director of the institute, Professor Peter Quartey, speaking on the topic: “Harnessing stakeholder engagement and feedback for research impact” at the 2022 ISSER Road Show at the University of Education, Winneba (UEW) said with the current 1.5% rate, the government’s goal of mobilizing about GH¢4.1 billion would be missed as more people would avoid using the platform but instead use alternative methods to avoid paying the tax.

THIS IS TRENDING:   Guinea’s Coup Leader, Mamady Doumbouya Sworn In As Interim President

He stated that “The 1.5% E-transaction levy rate is punitive and should be revised downwards to between 0.5% and 0.75% to allow more people to use the service and avoid eroding the gains made in digital financial inclusion.”

The E-levy was introduced by the government in the 2022 Budget for basic transactions related to digital payments and electronic platform transactions.

The levy has sparked controversy because of its impact on mobile money transactions and the impoverished Ghanaians that use it.

 

We Will Love You To Join Our Over 201k Members Instagram Family With Just One Click @gharticles

Source: GhArticles.com

Continue Reading

Gh News

Heavy Downpour Leaves Some Parts Of Accra Flooded Again

Published

on

Heavy Downpour Leaves Some Parts Of Accra Flooded Again

Some parts of Accra got flooded Saturday morning following a brief downpour.

Areas such as Kaneshie First Light, Abbosey Okai and Adabraka Sahara, Dansoman, and Odorkor were affected by the floods.

The situation resulted in heavy vehicular traffic in different parts of Accra.

Motorists were left with no choice but to abandon their vehicles after their cars and motorbikes got choked in the floods.

Ghanaians have as usual expressed their anger and lamented at how a little rainfall causes floods.

Some Ghanaians who were affected by the floods quickly took to social media to lament the situation.

The video below shows the floods on the main Kaneshie highway in front of the market.

Watch the video below:

 

We Will Love You To Join Our Over 201k Members Instagram Family With Just One Click @gharticles

THIS IS TRENDING:   Twitter Set To Remove Tweeted Images Without Consent

Source: GhArticles.com

Continue Reading

Trending