Here is a full guide on How To Apply for & Renew Passport Online in Ghana in 2022 for persons who would like to apply or renew their passport.
What is a Passport?
A passport is an official document provided by a government that certifies the holder’s identity and citizenship while also allowing them to travel to and from foreign nations under its protection.
It is nearly hard to travel between countries and/or jurisdictions without a passport.
About the Online Passport Application System in Ghana
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration, Ghana introduced the online passport application service in 2017 for Ghanaians to make the application process easier while assuring optimum security for applicants.
This process has now become one of the ways to apply for a Ghanaian passport in the country.
Documents Needed on How To Apply & Renew Passport Online in Ghana 2022
Here are the documents applicants are required to have in order to successfully apply or renew a passport in Ghana.
For New/Fresh Applicants
- Birth Certificate
- A Valid ID Card Such as such as Driver’s Licence, Ghana Card, etc.
- Proof of Profession
- If the applicant is actively employed, a work ID card with the applicant’s name, organization’s name, and position is required.
- If the candidate is currently enrolled in school, they must provide a student ID.
- Self-employed and registered business owners must present their business registration certificate as proof.
- Unemployed candidates and those in the non-formal sector of employment, such as mechanics, hairdressers, etc do not require proof.
For Renewing Applicants
- First page and bio-data page with picture and information page
- Valid Visa if applicant has any in Old Passport
- Last page
- Proof of Profession if changed
Types of Passport Applications in Ghana 2022
There are two different kinds of applications.
- Standard Application: This type takes more time to process.
- Expedited Application (Express): This takes less time to process.
There are 32 or 48 booklet pages in each of these applications.
Price/Fee for Passport Application Processing 2022
|1||Expedited Application 48 Pages||GHS 200.00|
|2||Expedited Application 32 Pages||GHS 150.00|
|3||Standard Application 32 Pages||GHS 100.00|
|4||Standard Application 48 Pages||GHS 150.00|
Payment Channels for Processing Fees
|1||Ecobank Ghana||VISA & MasterCard, MTN Mobile Money, Vodafone Cash.|
|2||GCB Bank||Vodafone Cash.|
|4||Zenith Bank Ghana||MTN Mobile Money, Vodafone Cash, VISA & MasterCard.|
How To Apply & Renew Passport Online in Ghana 2022
Kindly follow the steps below to apply for a Passport via the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Website:
- Visit the passport application website via https://passport.mfa.gov.gh/
- Click on “New User? Register Here”
- Click on “Sign Up” to create a new account on the “Ghana.gov.gh” website you will be redirected to
- Fill in your details And click Continue
- A One Time Password (OPT) would be sent to the phone number provided. Enter the OTP and Click continue to Apply
- Search for the Passport Office and Click Apply
- You would be redirected to a different page
- Click on “Authorize” to enable the application share your details with the Passport Application portal
- You will be redirected to the passport application platform where you will be given the chance to make purchase or input a voucher for the new passport application
You have the option of choosing the Passport Application Centre (PAC) that is closest to you or the one that you want. Once you’ve done that, schedule a visit to the PAC to have your documents verified and your biometric information taken (i.e. photograph and fingerprints). While you wait for your appointment date, you can print the completed form and give it to your guarantor to fill up.
Visiting the Passport Application Center
Once you have your signed paperwork, you can go to the Passport Application Center of your choice on the scheduled appointment day. Your documents will be checked, and your biometric information will be collected. Following your visit, the PAC will notify you when your passport is available to be picked up.
Obtain your Ghanaian passport
When your Passport is ready to be picked up, you will be notified through SMS. When you hear this notice, go to the Passport Application Centre where you conducted your biometrics to pick up your Ghana passport.
Ghana Passport Application Centers
Online applications are currently handled by 22 application centers across the country.
You can choose any of them during the application process, and you’ll go there for biometrics and to pick up your passport once it’s ready.
The following is a list of Passport Application Centres in Ghana where you can complete your biometric application and where you can find them:
|1||Accra PAC||Kinbu Road (Old Foreign Affairs)|
|2||Kumasi PAC||Guggisberg Road, Opposite PWD, Adum, Ministries|
|3||Takoradi PAC||Ghana Immigration Head Quarters (Within the Regional Administration)|
|4||Sunyani PAC||Adjacent to Jubilee (shares a wall with the Park)|
|5||Ho PAC||Regional Administration (Shares building with Immigration)|
|6||Tamale PAC||Police Park (Old Library)|
|8||Premium PAC – Accra||Accra Digital Center, Adjacent State Housing Company, Ring Road West, Accra|
|9||Tema PAC||Former IRS Office, Community 4, Tema|
|10||Koforidua PAC||PWD Office, SSNIT Office Area, Koforidua.|
|11||Premuim PAC – Kumasi||2nd Floor, Thankful Heights Building, Adum, Kumasi|
|12||Premium PAC – Tamale||2nd Floor, Pension Tower, Tamale|
|13||Cape Coast PAC||Opposite Ford Station|
|14||Wa PAC||Block C, Regional Coordination Council, Wa|
Please keep in mind that Premium Passport Application Centers in Ghana offer a more expedited and VIP experience for a fee.