Connect with us

World News

Former US Secretary of State Colin Powell Dies From Covid

Published

on

Former US Secretary of State Colin Powell Dies From Covid

Tributes are being paid to former US Secretary of State Colin Powell, who has died of Covid-19 complications aged 84.

The former top military officer died on Monday morning, his family said. He was fully vaccinated.

Powell became the first African-American secretary of state in 2001 under Republican President George W Bush.

He also sparked controversy for helping garner support for the Iraq War.

“We have lost a remarkable and loving husband, father, grandfather and a great American,” the family said in a statement, thanking the staff at the Walter Reed Medical Center “for their caring treatment”.

Powell had previously been diagnosed with multiple myeloma, a type of blood cancer which may have made him more susceptible to Covid symptoms, according to US media, as well as Parkinson’s disease.

Colin Powell

President Joe Biden, calling Powell a “dear friend”, said he had embodied the “highest ideals of both warrior and diplomat”.

Obituary: Colin Powell

Former President Bush was among the first to pay tribute to “a great public servant” as well as “a family man and a friend” who “was such a favourite of presidents that he earned the Presidential Medal of Freedom – twice”.

Mr Bush’s vice-president Dick Cheney saluted Powell as “a man who loved his country and served her long and well” while also being “a trailblazer and role model for so many”.

READ ALSO:   Misplaced Priorities!! SDK Shocked At The Ghana Fire Service

Former President Barack Obama, a Democrat, tweeted that Powell “understood what was best in this country, and tried to bring his own life, career, and public statements in line with that ideal”.

Condoleezza Rice, Powell’s successor as secretary of state and the first black woman in the role, called him “a truly great man” whose “devotion to our nation was not limited to the many great things he did while in uniform or during his time spent in Washington”.

“Much of his legacy will live on in the countless number of young lives he touched.”

Current secretary of state Antony Blinken called Powell’s life “a victory of the American Dream”.

Powell gave the Department of State “the very best of his leadership,” Mr Blinken said. “He never stopped believing in America, and we believe in America in no small part because it helped produce someone like Colin Powell.”

Former UK Prime Minister Tony Blair – who worked closely with Powell during the early years of the Iraq War – said he was someone of “immense capability and integrity” who was “a great companion, with a lovely and self-deprecating sense of humour”.

We Will Love You To Join Our Over 170k Members Instagram Family With Just One Click @gharticles

Source: GhArticles.com

NEWS Articles

Ghana’s Ace Investigative Journalist, Anas Aremeyaw Anas Wins 2021 Foreign Journalist Award in US

Published

on

Ghana's Ace Investigative Journalist, Anas Aremeyaw Anas Wins 2021 Foreign Journalist Award in US

Ace Ghanaian investigative journalist, Anas Aremeyaw Anas, has been named the 2021 NABJ Percy Qoboza Foreign Journalist of the Year.

He will receive the award at an event to be held on Saturday, December 4, 2021 in the United States of America.

This was made known in a letter addressed to the renowned investigative journalist, by the organizers of the event, National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ).

Anas Aremeyaw Anas, known for his dangerous, daring and explosive investigative works, is being recognised for his outstanding and ground-breaking achievements in journalism over the years. This is according to the letter dated October 1, 2021.

“It is with great pleasure that I send you this message. We are excited that you have been selected the 2021 NABJ Percy Qoboza Foreign Journalist of the Year Award recipient! The award recognizes your outstanding achievements in journalism,” says Dorothy Tucker, President, National Association of Black Journalists.

The award category is code named NABJ Percy Qoboza Foreign Journalist of the Year Award.

The event, organised by National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ), honours legendary black journalists who have made outstanding contributions to the industry every year.

This year’s event, scheduled to be virtual, will take place in the United States of America.

READ ALSO:   TB Joshua's Church On Fire During His Candle Light Procession

It is named after Percy Peter Tshidiso Qoboza, an influential black South African journalist, author and outspoken critic of the government in South Africa during the early periods of world recognition of the problems evident in the racially divided land.

He was the editor of The World Newspaper in Soweto and his fluently persuasive editorials did much to challenge the white South Africans who were protected from the horrors of apartheid.

The event will be graced by the President of the National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ), Dorothy Tucker of WBBM-TV, Chicago, Illinois ; The Vice President-Broadcast, Ken Lemon of Cox Media Group-WSOC-TV, Charlotte, N.C.; The Vice President-Digital, Amir Vera, CNN, Atlanta, Georgia; and Vice President-Print, Kathy Chaney, YR Media, Chicago, Illinois.

Others are Secretary, Madison Carter, WXIA-TV, Atlanta, Georgia ; Treasurer, Walter Smith-Randolph, Connecticut Public, Broadcasting (CPTV & WNPR), Hartford, Conneticut ; Parliamentarian, Michelle Fitzhugh-Craig, Shades Magazine – Celebrating All Women Of Color, Oakland, California, among others.

 

 

 

 

We Will Love You To Join Our Over 170k Members Instagram Family With Just One Click @gharticles

Source: GhArticles.com

Continue Reading

World News

Student Sentenced To Death By Firing Squad For Smuggling Squid Game Into North Korea

Published

on

Student Sentenced To Death By Firing Squad For Smuggling Squid Game Into North Korea

A man has reportedly been sentenced to death in North Korea for smuggling copies of Netflix’s blockbuster series “Squid Game” into the country.

According to Radio Free Asia (via Variety), authorities were led to the man after they caught high school students watching the series.

The report states that “Squid Game” was smuggled into the country from China through the use of a USB flash drive. “Squid Game” is not available in China but remains popular thanks to piracy websites.

The smuggler faces death by firing squad, while the students involved in bringing “Squid Game” in to school are facing prison sentences.

Radio Free Asia reports: “A student who bought a drive received a life sentence, while six others who watched the show have been sentenced to five years hard labor, and teachers and school administrators have been fired and face banishment to work in remote mines.”

Created by Hwang Dong-hyuk, “Squid Game” is a South Korean survival thriller that follows a group of contestants who agree to participate in a mysterious survival game with a grand prize total of nearly $40 million.

The game includes hundreds of contestants who play traditional children’s games with deadly twists. Lee Jung-jae, Park Hae-soo, and Wi Ha-joon star.

READ ALSO:   Sandra Ankobiah Storms Instagram With Mini Dresses; Fans React

All nine episodes of the show’s first season debuted in September, and the show became a word-of-mouth sensation.

“Squid Game” amassed 1.6 billion hours viewed in its first 28 days of release, making it the biggest Netflix original TV series in history and the single biggest piece of original Netflix content.

As noted by Variety: “In December 2020, North Korea passed the ‘Elimination of Reactionary Thought and Culture’ act, which prohibits the entry and dissemination of cultural material like films, plays, music, and books in the country.

The act is mainly aimed at preventing the spread of media from South Korea and the U.S. and those found distributing or consuming these are liable to be punished.

According to widespread reports, in April this year a man was publicly executed for selling drives and CDs containing South Korean material.”

Meanwhile, “Squid Game” is now streaming on Netflix globally. The streaming giant has yet to announce a second season, although its creator has said publicly that another round of episodes will happen.

 

 

 

We Will Love You To Join Our Over 170k Members Instagram Family With Just One Click @gharticles

Source: GhArticles.com

Continue Reading

World News

Cris Galera: Woman Who Married Herself, Divorces Herself After 3 Months

Published

on

Cris Galera: Woman Who Married Herself, Divorces Herself After 3 Months

A Brazilian woman, who made headlines earlier this year by marrying herself, is now heading for divorce after confessing she’s met someone else.

Cris Galera grew tired of relying on men, so decided to marry herself in a formal ceremony which was held in September 2021.

The 33-year-old model insisted she wasn’t “disappointed” not to have a groom and instead was embracing going it alone, but it wasn’t meant to be and 90 days later, she’s decided to divorce herself, The Daily Star is reporting.

Cris Galera

Cris Galera happily posed for pictures on her wedding day in front of a Catholic church in Sao Paulo, Brazil.

READ ALSO:   Husband Of Missing Takoradi Woman Speaks; Confirms Wife Was Found Without Pregnancy

She said at the time she was tired of relying on men, so she decided to marry herself instead. Cris also said she was embracing being alone and wasn’t “disappointed” she didn’t have a groom.

Fortunately for Cris, who hails from Sao Paulo in Brazil, says she has since met “someone special” and has even started to fall in love, despite vowing to go solo.

We Will Love You To Join Our Over 150k Members Instagram Family With Just One Click @gharticles

Source: GhArticles.com

Continue Reading

Trending